Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yum, Yum, Yummers!

I am not a big fan of eating pies. But the one pie that I do get on the pie train for is the coconut cream pie. Oh man that pie is so delicious, especially the one from Marie Callenders. Unfortunately, except for rare times during the years, those pies are none too cheap. So a couple of weeks ago I decided I was going to try and make my own coconut cream pie. I found a recipe online for the filling and then a good friend of mine gave me her secret pie crust recipe. With those in hand I set out to make myself a delicious coconut Cream Pie. Yum! To make the crust I broke out my brand new food processor from Pampered Chef. I put the ingrediants in and started processing, unfortunately it was not cutting the butter up fine the way it was supposed to. I assumed it was because the butter was still pretty frozen from being in the freezer and so after letting it sit out for a long while I tried again. Still not chopping good. I kept trying and trying until I finally got tired of it and gave up figuring that was good enough. The chinks were smallish but not tiny like they were supposed to be, oh well. After I dumped it out I looked inside the processor and realized that I never took the cardboard coverings off of the blades. Oops! Never even thought to look in and see if there were any parts to remove before I could start using it. I felt a little silly but, whatevs, obviously next time it will work better because I took off the cardboard and threw it away. :o) So I made the crust and then got to work on the filling. I was so proud of myself while making the filling. There were a couple of things that were a tad confusing in the recipe, like "temper the eggs", but after thinking for a second I remembered what "temper the eggs" mean. The Food Network is definitely a learning channel. :o) So I got done with the filling, put it inside the crust and stuck it in the fridge to let it cool. After a while I could not wait any longer and so I pulled it out and had myself a big slice. It was perfect and oh so delicious. I was surprised with how easy it was for me to make it and I anticipate many more homemade coconut cream pies coming my way! Lucky for me my kids are not fans so more for Kefford and I. Yeah!
This apron I am wearing deserves a little mention. Every year Grandma Marge gets a gift for all of the grandkids. Last year (2010) all of thee married Grandkids got these homemade aprons. I was not able to go to the Annual New Years party at Grandmas house that year, I think I was in California, so we did not get our gifts until later. We got what we got and were quite happy about it. Months later I found out about these aprons that everyone got and wondered why I did not get one. So the next time I saw Grandma I asked her about it. She thought for sure I got one since she made enough for everyone and did not have any left. I told her I did not get one but that it was OK. Of course I totally wanted one but it was not a big deal. I knew that she was so sick of those aprons since she had to make about a billion of them and that making one more filled her with dread. I told her it was OK and not to worry about it. wouldn't you know that months later after all that Alison gave me a package from Grandma Marge and inside it was this special apron. I think it means more to me getting it this way because I knew how hard it was for her to make one more and I know that I am loved. She is a special lady and I am so glad that she is my Grandma!